Saturday, October 08, 2022

Konstanz Working Cafés #4: Café Bloggers

Our fourth entry is the aptly-named Café Bloggers. Now, I must confess to being negatively biased from the outset with this one, since it’s replaced Café Zeitlos, which was my favourite breakfast spot in all of Konstanz. Still, I found myself quite pleasantly surprised.

Advantages:

  • Great food: this isn’t the ideal attribute of a working café, but true nonetheless. The menu is quite short, but full of interesting and tasty-looking things, with silly names like “Naan-Masté” (for a naan with hummus and feta). I had the “Pop Eye”, a sort of toasted brioche sandwich with truffle oil, depicted below. The coffee is fine too.
  • Wifi: yes, it just works, and the password is on the menu. You’d think this would be the default for Konstanz cafés. You’d think wrong.
  • Attentive service.
Disadvantages:
  • It’s a bit out of the way, hidden behind the Stephanskirche. But maybe I’m being too harsh here.
  • It’s small and noisy. Better to go there with a friend for breakfast or lunch than for working.
  • Relatedly, it gets full/booked up quickly. Tables can be reserved. While I was there, many people were turned away. I’d feel bad about sitting here with my laptop and nursing a coffee for long.
Price of a regular black coffee: €3.00. (I’ll add this to all future café posts.)
Overall rating: ☕️☕️ (2/5). I feel a bit mean for giving this rating, so I should explain: as somewhere to go for a meal or a drink with a friend, I’d give it a ☕️☕️☕️☕️ (4/5), but it’s not really that well suited for working (or, ironically, blogging).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just saw this series, which is providing a very valuable service (I've heard that one regularly-visiting scientist would actually spend their days working on the frigging Konstanz-Meersburg ferry (on a single round-trip ticket, which the powers-that-were eventually put a stop to), for want of a workable cafe,

I nominate Cafe Wessenberg for a future installment of this series - at least in the summer, when they have the backyard open (I think they call it a "beer garden", but it is more of a chill outside seating area of a cafe during the day). In the colder months, it might be too difficult to get a place, and/or it might be too loud to work. The lunch-type food was always excellent there, and in the warmer months, they had a delicious home-made iced tea.

Sven

George said...

Thanks Sven! I’ve been to Wessenberg in the evening, but hadn’t considered it as a place to work - I’ll give it a try some time.