Thursday, March 30, 2023

Balkans day 29: Pest

Adventures east of the river today. I headed out to the Hungarian Railway History Park, on the northeast side of Budapest. Ironically, this place is difficult to get to by public transport – it took me a short metro ride, two trams and a 15-minute walk. The park, when I arrived, was virtually abandoned, giving it quite a haunting aspect. There is also very little in the way of English-language signage, but lots to see if, like me, you just enjoy looking at trains.

Steam locos

The railway park from the footbridge

Heading back into the city centre, I treated myself to a fish soup and a walk around the outside of the parliament building. 18-year-old me was wowed, considering it to be the best building he’d ever seen, and 37-year-old me is hard-pressed to disagree.

Parliament building

Sculpted shoes by the Danube

My walk finally led me to St Stephen’s Basilica. We’re in Catholic territory now, but this one rivals the Orthodox cathedrals for opulence. You can also go up into the dome for a great view of the city, and I did.

Chancel of St Stephen’s

By this point, fatigue was setting in. It’s almost as if I’ve been on the road for a month, not sleeping in the same bed for more than three nights in a row at any point (and that only once). Plus the cherry tree blossoms, while beautiful, have caused the worst outbreak of hayfever I’ve had in years, and that shit tires you out. I’m sitting now looking at the beautiful frontage of Keleti station, waiting for the sixth and final sleeper train of the holiday, which will take me halfway across Europe, back to Zurich. We’re in Schengen, so no 3am passport checks this time. Dosed up as I am on antihistamines and chamomile tea, I might even sleep well!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww, sleep well! Great post … (I love looking at both trains and domes, as you know!) 😘 xxx